For those of you who know me, you know that red is my signature lip color. I have been wearing various shades of red since my mother allowed me to wear lipstick. So when I started my blog in 2012, it was a no-brainer for me, my logo had to have red lips.
Over the years of wearing this power color, I have come across so many women who are afraid to wear it or just don’t know how.
If I had a dollar for every woman that said, “I can’t wear a red lipstick because it’s too bright for me. Or I can’t find the right color…” I would totally be a millionaire by now. No, really I would because it’s been that many.
To all the ladies who cringe at the color red or dread shopping for a red lippie, I am here to set you free! By the time you finish reading this post, you will officially call me your, “Red Lippie Sheroe or The Fairy Godmother of Red Lips.” Whatever you choose it’s all right with me just as long as you’re no longer afraid to sport the infamous red lip!
Here are my rules to finding your perfect match…
- Yes You Can: If you can wear a red polish (or for that matter anything red), you can wear red lipstick. The next time you go shopping for a red lippie, take your favorite red polish, compare the colors and find a match. You’ll be surprised with your findings.
- Know Your Reds: There are several colors of reds with different undertones. Find a red that will compliment your skin tone. Fair skin with pink undertones look for a red/pink. Dark skin with red undertone, look for a red/blue. Medium skin with yellow undertone, look for a red/orange.
- Start Off Slow: If you’ve always wanted to try a red but you’re a little nervous because you think it’s too much, take baby steps. Check out the shear lipsticks and slowly graduate to more pigment. Burt’s Bees makes a great shear red.
- Mix And Match: Sometimes it takes mixing 2-3 shades of red to find the perfect match. It may take a few tries before you find what you really like.
- Layer, Layer and Layer: Build the colors by layering. Start with a red lip marker or liner, add a lipstick and if you want a little shine, add some gloss too. The reds don’t have to be exact but it’s best if they are from the same color family.
- Try It Before You Buy It: Before you purchase clothes you try them on, right? Well, the same thing goes for lipstick. Try it on your lips not your hands because you’re going to wear it on your lips anyway. Besides, your hands and lips are two different shades and you won’t get the same results. Unless you’re a makeup artist or a pro with colors, you’ll be left with disappointment and all mad at me (and I’m just not here for that). So, I beg of you to try it on your lips!
Side Note: Make sure the Beauty Advisor sanitizes the tester before you try it on.
Advice: When you find your favorite red buy more than one. You can never have enough and brands are constantly adding and deleting shades. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Trust me I know! Smashbox discontinued my favorite lip marker and my life has never been the same.
So there you have it, tips and tricks to finding the best red lips. What are you waiting for? Get your squad together, schedule a beauty play date, follow the steps above and pucker up baby! MUAH
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Beauty School ScArlet